Book one of the Longshadows Series
It was such a delight at Writers Group today to see Past Imperfect on multiple screens – Ipad, Kindle, Kobo. All my colleagues with readers had downloaded it. What a thrill! It is available free on Smashwords for a short period – http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/301384
After that it was on with the business of critiquing each other’s work. We had a big load today – everyone present contributed material for comment:
- There was the first chapter of a new novel – a sequel to Nene Davies’ first book Distance, which will be e-published by Really Blue Books next month. The new book with a working title of Further promises another great read.
- Another was an American-based YA novel that is moving along well – in our humble opinions, quite brilliant.
- A wonderful short story – humorous and full of characters we’ve all met and wish we hadn’t.
- Memoir chapter of life in the 1950s in rural Australia by a young English migrant – real social history there.
- The first chapter of a story destined for the education sector about a wartime mystery – a couple of youngsters have a project on hand to follow an emotional trail.
- And a chapter from the end of my second novel Present Tense – set in Amsterdam after the medical evacuation of a humanitarian aid volunteer from Africa.
Lots of laughs, constructive comments and helpful discussions. And a wonderful lunch afterwards as four of us have birthdays just past or imminent.
I’m also posting on my new website – http://www.winfredadonald.com
Book one of the Long Shadows Series
Late yesterday I sent out emails and made phone calls to let friends and family know that Past Imperfect was published on Smashwords and available free for two weeks if they were interested in having a look. More of them than expected did just that, and so many sent lovely messages of congratulations and support, and a few were burrowing their way through the story straight away even though it was Easter weekend and most had family get-togethers on the go.
If you’d like to do the same go to http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/301384
I’m so excited. This is the first time I’ve used my pen-name as author. I plan to use Winfreda Donald for all my fiction writing from now on.
And today I also made a start on editing the second book in The Long Shadows Series – Present Tense. I sailed through two chapters just after Freya’s arrival in Africa.
Between times I’m re-reading Pearl Buck’s wonderful tale of The Good Earth. I’m still with Wang Lung during the tumultuous times of famine as he takes his family south. I felt immersed in the impact they experienced because of the barren soil of the Chinese countryside and the changed behaviour of their starving neighbours. The city is such an alien world for them and the story so simply and powerfully told. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in stories of change and comparisons between a past world and a present one. Even at fourth or fifth reading the novel is fresh and engaging.
I intend to keep this blog for a while longer but would welcome views of my new website even though it is a little sparse right now. It will expand soon. Find the covers of two other books in The Long Shadows Series by visiting http://www.winfredadonald.com
Tomorrow is critiquing day – to prepare for our Writers Group meeting on Friday. Looking forward to that.